About The Course
The Level 2 Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ) in Social Services (Children and Young People) at SCQF level 6 allows candidates to demonstrate competence in job related skills. The qualification has been designed in partnership with the Sector Skills Council, Skills for Care and Development to ensure relevance to the sector.
This qualification is suitable for thoses who are currently employed as a support worker in an early years setting or daycare for children and young people. It is for those wishing to gain a formal qualification. Once completed learners will gain an international recognised qualification which guarantees that they have the skills, knowledge and abilities required to carry out their role successfully.
Assessments are normally carried out in the workplace which minimises any time candidates would need to be away from their work and allows candidates to generate evidence based on the actual work they are carrying out.
For more information visit SQA.
Core Units Undertaken
Support Effective Communication
- Identify how best to support communication with and by children
- Support children to communicate
- Communicate with children and key people
- Respond to questions and concerns of children and key people
- Contribute to communicating through records and reports
Support Health And Safety Of Yourself And Individuals
- Carry out health and safety checks before you begin work activities
- Ensure your actions support health, safety and security in the place where you work
- Take action to deal with emergencies
Support The Safeguarding Of Children
- Clarify your awareness of harm, abuse and safeguarding
- Work in ways that help to safeguard children from harm or abuse
- Work in ways that help children feel safe and valued
- Work in ways that support the rights, inclusion and wellbeing of children
- Help children to keep safe
Develop Your Own Knowledge And Practice
- Reflect on your current practice
- Plan to develop your knowledge and practice
- Apply acquired knowledge and skills in your work